Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Telegraph on Oscar Pistorius, the athlete, the man and the myths


id="TelegraphPlayer-3690248" width="460" height="259"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab">







width="460" height="259" name="TelegraphPlayer-3690248" align="middle"
play="true"
loop="false"
allowscriptaccess="always"
allowfullscreen="true"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
wmode="transparent"
flashvars="playerId=TelegraphPlayer-3690248&callback=receiveTelegraphPlayerEvent&version=2&showCarousel=false&embedCode=V0cTdzMjp2PUfdZj9Wp-3VakVHG47dXS"
pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer">


Telegraph Paralympics correspondent discusses Oscar Pistorius on the Hawksbee and Jacobs Show on TalkSport.


In the morning, the double amputee sprinter had defended his decision to walk out on a BBC Radio 4 interview after feeling insulted. Yesterday, Pistorius claimed he was "drawing a line" against being "stereotyped".


Pistorius became the first amputee sprinter to win an IAAF World

Championship medal last week in South Korea, in the 4x 400m relay for

South Africa.


He told The Telegraph yesterday: "I've had a great

relationship with the BBC and will continue to have one, but there is

a line.”


He added: “I have always been open to discussing the disadvantages of

someone racing with prosthetic legs, but I also have to draw a line in

my life. This is a career. If someone is criticising my personality, I

have to stand up for myself and what I believe in."


“This is about sport and enjoyment, but I do believe in standing up

for disabled people and the stigmas and stereotypes they have been

subjected to for so many years.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment