Saturday, October 8, 2011

30 Seconds With Clark Gillies: Ex-Star Hopes Isles Shine

Clark Gillies, a former Islanders star, rang the Nasdaq closing bell recently, and the bell survived. In fact, the market jumped after Gillies, a rare player who could fight as well as shoot and skate skillfully, performed the honors. Gillies, 57, was a key player when the Islanders won four consecutive Stanley Cups from 1980 to 1983. A member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, he was recently honored at the 26th Annual Great Sports Legends Dinner to benefit The Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis.

Do you think the Islanders are ready to become a force in the league again?

I hope so. With the players from last year and (Kyle) Okoposo and (Mark) Streit coming back healthy with John Tavares, and the addition of Brian Rolston. On paper, they don’t look too bad. They just have to stay healthy. They had more injuries the last few years than just about any other team. The goaltending will be fine with competition between (Al) Montoya, (Evgeni) Nabokov and with Rick DiPietro.

How do you think the Rangers and the Devils will do?

I think the Rangers are going to be pretty good. Adding Brad Richards to go with Marian Gaborik, that’s going to be a very tough line. I’m sure (Rangers Coach John) Tortorella is going to be working them pretty good. He doesn’t like missing the playoffs any better than anybody else. It’s important for the Devils to have Zach Parise back. That was the biggest hole in their lineup. You can’t lose a guy that like him, with his offensive abilities and leadership qualities. That should rejuvenate the team.

Do you have a sleeper team?

I was talking to Bobby Nystrom about his son Eric, who plays for Minnesota. They made some nice changes. I like Minnesota. And I’ll be rooting for Eric, too.

What players do you enjoy watching?

I’ve always been a big fan of Sidney Crosby. He’s a very exciting player. And Alexander Ovechkin. I went to watch Washington play the Rangers at the Garden last year. The only reason I went was to just see what Ovechkin can do. He just dominated the game and totally impressed me. I enjoy (Zdeno) Chara in Boston. He’s such a big physical presence.

What do you think about the possibility that the N.H.L. might prevent players from competing at the 2014 Olympics?

I think that would be a bad decision. Now you see the best of the best. Before, you had the Red Army team, which pretty much dominated the whole thing. The majority of the best players from the countries are N.H.L. players. The Olympics would miss something without them. We’ve all gotten spoiled by how intense the games are and the quality of the games.

Q.

You were a minor league baseball player in the Houston Astros organization. Do you wonder what your career would have been like if you had chosen that sport?

I was signed by a young scout by the name of Pat Gillick at a tryout in Saskatchewan. I gave it a try. They gave me three years to develop. Then they said we think you have a future in baseball. We like what we see. But I had to decide between baseball and hockey. At that time, I was playing baseball two months a year and hockey 9 or 10 months. I was excelling more in hockey than baseball. I said thanks but no thanks. Hockey was always first and foremost. If you could have told me I was going to play on the Yankees and win four World Series, it would have been a different story.

What do you think about the possibility that the Islanders might relocate if their arena problems are not solved?

It would obviously be very disappointing. We’re celebrating our 40th anniversary this year. I think Charles (Wang) will ultimately step up to the plate. It sounds like he wants to keep the team and stay on Long Island. We’re keeping our fingers crossed. Life would go on but it would be a lot different without the Islanders.

What are your thoughts about the recent deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak?

The players need to be monitored more closely by people that are close to them. If they see something going on, if they see some depression, friends and family have to step up and ask the question what can we do to help these kids before it’s too late.

With the N.H.L. studying concussions and the recent deaths, do you think all head contact should be penalized the way it is in the Ontario Hockey League, college hockey and international hockey?

There’s some situations where it’s not totally intentional. You go to hit someone one way, and all of a sudden you’re thrown off balance and you wind up hitting someone in the head. It has to be looked at on an individual basis. I don’t think you can penalize any hit to the head.

You were known as a skilled player but also as an enforcer and a fighter. A lot of former players who fought in games now realize they had concussions. Do you think you sustained any concussions when you played?

Possibly. There’s nothing that stands out in my mind that would indicate that I lost the ability to play because of a blow to the head, although a lot of my friends would disagree with that. I’ve gotten hit in the head with sticks, but never by an elbow that debilitated me in any way. I never hit my head on the ice. I was probably pretty lucky.

Are you concerned about your memory after so many years of contact and fighting?

I’m 57 now, and I have my moments of, Geez I can’t remember that guy’s name. But those instances are few and far between. I think it’s an age thing. We all have to live with it.

Riley Cote, a former N.H.L. enforcer, said painkillers are too accessible for players. What are your thoughts about painkiller use?

If guys are having migraines because of concussions, I guess the team is going to supply them, rightfully or wrongfully, with painkillers to take care of their anxiety or whatever. I don’t know. I can’t answer that. I suppose if the team doesn’t give them to them they’re going to get them another way. If they want to take them that badly they’re going to get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment