Tuesday, September 6, 2011

India dressing room: rain delay fly-on-the-wall



India's latest call-up warms up for action at the Rose Bowl

India's latest call-up warms up for action at the Rose Bowl


Behind-the-scenes in the Indian rooms at a rainy Rosebowl…


“Right then you guys,” said Duncan Fletcher. “How about we use this rain delay for a bit of work in the gym?”


He bounced a rugby ball eagerly on the floor and mimed some forward presses.


“That is a most splendid idea, Mr Duncan,” said MS Dhoni. “And thank you so much for bringing it to our attention. Very much the sort of radical ‘out of your box’ thinking that we are keen to hear from you.”


Fletcher looked pleased. “I thought we could start with a really good run around and then I could whack some balls about for everyone to chase and –”


MS held up his hand, smiling benevolently.


“As I say, Mr Duncan, a wonderful suggestion but I think it would be best if we all had a bit of discussion and got back to you with our findings.”


Politely but meaningfully, MS nodded towards the dressing room door. Fletcher trudged out sadly. He took a picture of Ashley Giles and Geraint Jones fooling around with the slip cradle out of his pocket and sighed. Fletcher shut the door behind him.


Parthiv Patel woke up with a start.


“Is that the pizza man? You better not have had my pizzas, you greedy sods. I’ve had nothing since lunch,” said Parthiv.


“It’s okay man, relax,” said Suresh Raina. “It’s just that old guy who tells the scary stories about packs of fast bowlers. He’s harmless enough.”


“Oh thank goodness,” said Parthiv. “I thought I’d missed my pizza.” He went back to sleep on top of a pile of bandages.


“Well then boys,” said MS. “Shall we give this ‘gymnasium’ business a go, then? Rahul swears by it, apparently.”


Praveen Kumar stood up. He picked up a niggle.


“On second thoughts,” said Dhoni. “I don’t think we can afford any more injuries. I’ll tell Fletcher he’ll have to come up with something else.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment