Thursday, September 1, 2011

UFC Ross Pearson: I suffered deep depression after Cole Miller loss, but left with winning feeling against Edson Barboza


UFC lightweight Ross Pearson has revealed that he suffered “serious depression” after losing to Cole Miller last year but left UFC 134 in Rio last week “with the winning feeling” in spite of losing to Brazilian Edson Barboza on a split points decision in a razor-close contest.


Ross Pearson

Ross Pearson


In the encounter with Barboza, the highly-regarded Brazilian muay thai fighter, Pearson appeared to win the first and edge the third round, although the contest was seen 29-28 by two judges. The third judge gave Pearson two of the three rounds.


Pearson, who also received a bonus $100,000 for fight of the night as well as his fight fee, insisted there would be no time required for mental recovery. “I was devastated last year after losing to Cole Miller,” revealed Pearson yesterday. “I fell into a deep depression over it. I really needed time to recover, and get myself back again. To be honest, I left Rio last weekend feeling like a winner. There is no down from the fight. I’ve watched it again, I thought I won, but I take nothing away from Edson, because he’s a classy guy.”


Pearson enhanced his credentials with this contest, and said he would fight anyone the UFC matchmaker Joe Silva put in front of him, and would even fight in November on the UFC 138 event in Birmingham if he was needed.


Pearson is interviewed by your correspondent on this week’s ESPN UFC PODCAST http://es.pn/kRAf1o

The podcast can also be downloaded on iTunes: http://bit.ly/eRhWHQ.


The entire UFC 134 main card receives the full break-down treatment, after Anderson Silva once again showed why he could be regarded as the best mixed martial artist, pound for pound, possibly of all time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment