Saturday, August 6, 2011

UFC 133: Main eventers Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans in great shape – Chandella not just a pretty face


chandella4


NOTES FROM PHILLY:


Tito Ortiz turned up in great shape for this contest. Rashad Evans even better at the weigh-in.


Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson told The Telegraph that Evans has benefited from a great training camp. “My team-mate Rashad is fighting and I’ve just come to show my support and give whatever help he needs. I’ve never seen him in this great shape and as mentally focused. Training with him has been great. It’s been great getting moves and knowledge from him in this camp, and helping him out with whatever he has wanted from me. It has been a fun ride with him.”


Johnson also told The Telegraph: “Rashad has been off for 14 months and he’s really hungry right now. Tito’s hungry too – he just got a big win over Ryan Bader. I didn’t think he’d beat Ryan Bader. I honestly picked Bader – younger stronger faster the whole package. Tito shocked the world – and I think it’s going to be a straight battle.”


“For Rashad, of course it is great to see him back. Things happen for a reason, and sometimes it is a blessing in disguise. This was just Rashad’s chance from God to go after a second title reign…and I think he’ll do it.”


Matt Hamill’s team are convinced he is in a “great frame of mind” for his contest with Alex Gustaffson tonight. They reckon Hamill just couldn’t “flick the switch” when he fought Rampage Jackson last time out…


Brad Pickett, whose great mentor and training partner Mike Brown comes back on the card against Nam Phan, hopes this will be a rejuvenation fight for his career. Brown has admitted he is ambivalent about whether his fighting days are over.


“I love him like a brother, a father figure even, because he has done so much for me and my career. He’s been an inspiration,” Pickett told me. He is cornering for Brown tonight. Pickett, of course, faces Renan Barao in Birmingham at UFC 138 on November 5. The winner will get a title shot.


Chandella – not just a pretty face


Chandella is not just a pretty face around the Octagon – she has some sporting skills. The 30-year-old revealed to The Telegraph that she was progressing as a semi-professional tennis player until she had to make the choice between being a tennis player and a theatrical dancer when she headed to college. But she revealed that while playing tennis, she missed out on an opportunity. “I was playing in a semi-pro tournament one day, and as I was preparing to go out and compete [she was a doubles player] I turned around and was face to face with Mr Williams, father of the Williams Sisters, Venus and Serena.” They talked a while, and Mr Williams complimented Chandella on her play. “I’ve kicked myself ever since, because I should have asked him straight out then if he would coach me…” Chandella studied physical fitness and psychology at college. But she could have been a Wimbledon contender…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment