Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Joe Calzaghe enjoys banter with Bernard Hopkins but pours cold water on re-match in Cardiff


Joe Calzaghe has poured cold water on any prospect of a making a comeback in a re-match with American Bernard Hopkins at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.


Calzaghe told The Telegraph here in Las Vegas that it was out of the question. Calzaghe defeated Hopkins, now the oldest world champion in history at 46, on a split decision in Las Vegas in 2008. Hopkins had caused controversy in the build-up to the fight saying that he would ‘never lose to a white boy’.


The two men sat a few feet apart at ringside as Amir Khan’s flashing fists earned him great plaudits with victory over Zab Judah in Las Vegas on Saturday night. Between them sat Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions.


“Bernard and Joe were sitting right next to each other. I had an empty seat on one side of me, and Bernard on the other side,” explained Schaefer. “I called Joe down to come and sit there. They were talking venues, but I don’t know if the fight would happen, or whether it is just a pipe dream. We were having fun back and forth, talking about the Millennium Stadium. Bernard said he had beaten Jean Pascal in his home town in Canada, and he would come to Cardiff to do the same against Joe in a re-match. ‘I’ll come over there and beat you,’ Bernard said.” “I sensed that there was some interest from both sides, maybe a case of unfinished business,” added Schaefer.


Not so, according to Calzaghe, who pointed out that it was the first time the pair had met since they fought in 2008. It was at The Tropicana’s new glitzy boutique nightclub Nikki Beach that The Telegraph caught up with Calzaghe. Amir Khan’s post-fight after-party was going strong there, and Calzaghe, among a number of well-known celebrity guests, explained that it had merely been banter with Hopkins.


“If I took the fight, it would be going back on everything I have stood by. I’d only be coming back for the money, and I’ve always said I’d never do that,” explained Calzaghe, who will maintain his unbeaten 46-fight record. “I’ve been away from it for two years now, and my career in over. But when I joked that it would have to be a 60-40 split in my favour, the talking from Bernard stopped.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment